Three Rivers Baptist Church has a long and interesting history. Founded initially as an Afrikaans Baptist Church, affiliated with the Afrikaans Baptiste Kerk (Afrikaans Baptist Church) denomination, the church became independent in 1985 and changed its name to Vaal Triangle Christian Community. In 1992, Pastor Nico van der Walt, having reformed in his own theology, led the church to a Reformed position, at which point the church adopted the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith as its formal Confession. During this period, the church’s name was changed to Antipas Gereformeerde Baptistegemeente (Antipas Reformed Baptist Church)—or, simply, Antipas Church.
In 1997, the leadership of the church became acutely aware of the need that existed for Nico to preach in other parts of the country—particularly in Pretoria. The Lord led Nico, with the blessing of the Vereeniging church, begin church services in Pretoria in January 1998. Nico relocated to Pretoria in the second half of 1999, where Antipas Pretoria was founded, under the oversight of the Vereeniging Church.
Earlier that year, Johannes de Koning was called to Antipas Vereeniging. He and his wife, Jacolette, laboured faithfully at Antipas Vereeniging until November 2003. The Lord was meanwhile at work in the heart of Kobus van der Walt, who was called (and accepted the call) to shepherd the church in January 2005, where he has laboured ever since.
In August 2015 the church decided unanimously to change the church’s name to Drie Rivier Baptiste Kerk (Three Rivers Baptist Church), and in 2016 to transition to an English-speaking church, effectively reverting to a church planting phase.
Church Name: Three Rivers Baptist Church
Country: South Africa
Cedar Community Centre
Eventide Old Age Home
Kobus van der Walt
Church Office Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Church Website: www.3riversbaptist.co.za