God created mankind male and female, and ordained marriage as a life-long union between a natural man and a natural woman (Genesis 2:18–25).
MARRIAGE AND DIVORCE
- Therefore we affirm that husband and wife are no longer two but one and that God intends marriage to last as long as both partners are alive (Matthew 19:4–6). We affirm that there are certain circumstances in which Scripture permits divorce (Matthew 19:9; 1 Corinthians 7:10–16); nevertheless, divorce always grieves the Lord and hurts those involved (Malachi 2:16).
- We deny that marriage is merely a negotiated contract which may be terminated at will. We deny that divorce is permissible for any cause not permitted in Scripture.
MARRIAGE AND SEXUAL PURITY
- We further affirm that marriage is by nature heterosexual (Genesis 2:24), and that any expression of sexual intimacy is holy only in the covenant of marriage (Exodus 20:14; Hebrews 13:4).
- We deny the legitimacy and permissibility of homosexuality, lesbianism, fornication, adultery, pornography, paedophilia, bestiality, prostitution, incest and other forms of sexual perversion (Romans 1:24–27).
- What elements in the opening statement are most significant?
- What does this value say about divorce? What does it not say?
- What does this value say about homosexuality? How does it counter modern arguments for homosexuality?
- How does this value confront modern dating practices?
THE CORE VALUES OF SOLA 5
- Core Value 1: God-Centredness
- Core Value 2: Logic and Reason
- Core Value 3: Authority
- Core Value 4: Sanctity of Life
- Core Value 5: Marriage and Sexuality
- Core Value 6: Discipline
- Core Value 7: Gender Roles
- Core Value 8: Vocation
- Core Value 9: Racial Harmony
- Core Value 10: Creation
- Core Value 11: Animals and the Environment
- Core Value 12: Pluralism
- Core Value 13: Freedom of Religion
- Core Value 14: Evangelism
- Core Value 15: Sufficiency of Scripture
- Core Value 16: Expository Preaching
- Core Value 17: Genuine Christianity
- Core Value 18: Personal Devotion to God
- Core Value 19: Good Works and Social Concern
- Core Value 20: Autonomy and Interdependency
- Core Value 21: The Unity of the Church
- Core Value 22: Liberty of Conscience
- Core Value 23: Hyper-Orthodoxy