God the Creator has the sole right to give and take human life, which belongs to him and is defined by him alone (Nehemiah 9:6; Isaiah 42:5).
- Therefore we affirm that life begins at the moment of conception and that abortion is the taking of a human life (Psalm 51:5).
- We deny that abortion is merely an issue of a woman’s right of choice over her own body (Psalm 139:13-16).
THE DEATH PENALTY
- We further affirm the responsibility of civil government to execute the death penalty for premeditated murder, in order to demonstrate the sanctity of life and to deter such crime (Genesis 9:6; Romans 13:4; Ecclesiastes 8:11).
- We deny that the just execution of a murderer by the God-ordained authorities is itself murder, and that such criminals have a right to life (Numbers 35:30-34).
- What does the opening statement assert about the limits of medical science?
- In what ways does the statement on abortion uphold the sanctity of life?
- What arguments would you make to support the affirmation and denial under abortion?
- How does the statement on the death penalty promote the sanctity of life?
- What do the affirmation and denial under the death penalty say about the biblical concepts of justice and human rights?
- According to these values, is every taking of a human life murder? Why/Why not?
- What other issues besides abortion and the death penalty are connected to the sanctity of life? What biblical affirmation and denial would you write for each issue?
THE CORE VALUES OF SOLA 5
- Core Value 1: God-Centredness
- Core Value 2: Logic and Reason
- Core Value 3: Authority
- Core Value 4: Sanctity of Life
- Core Value 5: Marriage and Sexuality
- Core Value 6: Discipline
- Core Value 7: Gender Roles
- Core Value 8: Vocation
- Core Value 9: Racial Harmony
- Core Value 10: Creation
- Core Value 11: Animals and the Environment
- Core Value 12: Pluralism
- Core Value 13: Freedom of Religion
- Core Value 14: Evangelism
- Core Value 15: Sufficiency of Scripture
- Core Value 16: Expository Preaching
- Core Value 17: Genuine Christianity
- Core Value 18: Personal Devotion to God
- Core Value 19: Good Works and Social Concern
- Core Value 20: Autonomy and Interdependency
- Core Value 21: The Unity of the Church
- Core Value 22: Liberty of Conscience
- Core Value 23: Hyper-Orthodoxy