Our Lord has warned his church against straining out gnats while swallowing camels (Matthew 23:24).
- Therefore we affirm that in essentials there must be unity, in nonessentials liberty and in all things charity (Titus 1:9–11; 1 Corinthians 8:1–13; Colossians 3:12–15).
- We deny that our understanding of infallible truth is itself infallible and that all matters are equally important; therefore we deny that all matters require contention and division among those who differ (Matthew 23:23).
For the purpose of fellowship in Sola 5, we consider non-essentials to be those matters which are outside of our Confession of Faith and Core Values.
- What are the essentials?
- What are the non-essentials?
- How are we to show charity to one another in all things?
- What is important about the first statement in the denial?
- What matters do require division? What things do not?
THE CORE VALUES OF SOLA 5
- Core Value 1: God-Centredness
- Core Value 2: Logic and Reason
- Core Value 3: Authority
- Core Value 4: Sanctity of Life
- Core Value 5: Marriage and Sexuality
- Core Value 6: Discipline
- Core Value 7: Gender Roles
- Core Value 8: Vocation
- Core Value 9: Racial Harmony
- Core Value 10: Creation
- Core Value 11: Animals and the Environment
- Core Value 12: Pluralism
- Core Value 13: Freedom of Religion
- Core Value 14: Evangelism
- Core Value 15: Sufficiency of Scripture
- Core Value 16: Expository Preaching
- Core Value 17: Genuine Christianity
- Core Value 18: Personal Devotion to God
- Core Value 19: Good Works and Social Concern
- Core Value 20: Autonomy and Interdependency
- Core Value 21: The Unity of the Church
- Core Value 22: Liberty of Conscience
- Core Value 23: Hyper-Orthodoxy